New England

In diesem Forum findest Hilfe und Antworten zu einzelnen Staaten und Regionen.
somewhere_special
gehört zum Inventar
Organisation: iSt + zis + Erasmus
Jahr: 08/09+11+13/14
Land: USA, ME + Italien + Finnland

Re: New England

Beitragvon somewhere_special » 04.11.2009, 13:37

Maine hat über Same-Sex-Marriage abgestimmt.
52% waren für die Abschaffung.
WTF? :evil:
Mein persönliches Umfeld dort drüben hat fast immer gegen die Abschaffung gestimmt, und trotzdem... :(

Hier mal eine Diskussion auf Facebook zur Veranschauung. Es geht zwar alles in netten Bahnen zu (vor allem, weil man sich ja gegenseitig kennt), aber die Argumente der Konservativen sind .. an den Haaren herangezogen, zumindest teilweise. Nathanael ist Mormone und freut sich, dass man YES, also für die Abschaffung der gleichgeschlechtlichen Ehe, gewählt hat. Ich kenne Nathanael, Mariah, Veronica, Dylan, Alisa, Ellen, Alyssa and Destioney persönlich.

Nathanae: Yay Maine for choosing yes on 1! =D

Kristin: i strongly dislike that stupidity.

Joanna: Darling, it was close and they just took rights away from many people. I hope that makes you feel great!

Nathanael: Just because I do not think that gays should have marriage makes me and over half of maine stupid. Also, I think it's interesting that in the 31 states that it has been put to popular vote that each time it has lost.

Joanna: It may be interesting and it usually squeaks by never a landslide, my dear. It doesn't make it right to limit the rights of others!

Kristin: Because they _always_ involve religion. People jump for that. But religion does not have _anything_ to do with the right to marry, does it?

Nathanael: Yes because religion is what makes alot of the people not want gay marriage because of our morals and since this is America and we can vote for whatever we want, over half of us choose not to have gay marriage legal.

Kristin: The religious views of some people cut away rights of others. Hope you feel great.

Joanna: Barely half and not all the votes have been counted - last I checked there were 87% still not counted. Just because someone isn't religious does not mean they have No Morals. Or that people who are so called religious have Morals! They just thump the Bible!

Nathanael: Well it works the other way around too if No had won, the religious views of people would cut away for gays just to have marriage.

Kristin: If you're against gay marriage, don't get one. What do you care about others?

Joanna: Sorry I meant that only 87% had been counted. And your last comment NT is tooo funny!

Nathanael: It's what marriage means to me. If just anybody could get married, it wouldn't mean as much. And I do feel great because I voted on what I believe and it won.

Kristin: Marriage is about LOVE. Not religion. My own parents got married. Not because they might be religious (they're not) but because they love each other.

Nathanael: I just had an idea about a compromise. The reason gays wanted marriage was because the more rights it had? And I have a feeling that if they keep going down this route they're never going to get them. However, if they turned their attention to adding more rights to the civil union, I would be fine with that. Because as long as they keep trying to get Marriage, I'll keep voting against it. But if they want to add more rights to the civil union I would have no problem with that.

Joanna: I know the reason you are against it is because marriage is sacred to you. But that is a Temple Marriage! The difference for many people is that marriage is a legal union (not sanctified by God). Most people get married legally for the legal rights it affords us and Love (let's not forget love!) Not because it is something sanctified by a God. A majority of people get married by a justice of the peace or a notary, not even in a church. Just because a person is Gay, is their love for each other any less than a heterosexual couples? Unfortunately, people look at it as sex, not love! Bonds of love are bonds of love...denying some one the right to marry in Maine is not denying them the right to marry at all just not legal rights attached to it.

Debbie: Good conversation going on here, Nathanael. I don't think I've ever heard you talk so much. :) Glad to see that you have strong opinions and a sense of civic duty....though I, too, voted no on one.

Mariah: I just think it's sad that so many people are having their rights taken away because of this result. I believe in equality because I think everyone should have the right to 'marry' the person they love in whatever fashion they see fit. But equality also means people have the right to believe what they want.

Joanna: The problem is NOONE is against marriage. It gets muddy when people look at it as religious or legal completely forgetting this should be a right for all. If a person wants to get married legally. If a person wants it sanctified by God, get it done at church! It is a sad day that people forget that there are families who love each other and want the same legal rights as everyone else...not through God, but under the LAW!

Veronica: The rights of people have gone down today... who is to say that another groups civil liberties is safe. I think it is horrible to deny someone the right to be married because everyone is entitled to love and get married to whom-so-ever they chose but again people have their own opinions on this subject. Remember though people's rights have been taken away yesterday. People don't understand because they are in the circumstance.. To Nathaneal how would you like it if someone was denying your rights to be married?

Dylan: Well said Veronica, I think that is one of the most important concepts people need to grasp. I'm sick of this ignorance.

Beverly: I think the ones who wanted to legalize same sex marriage should have called it something else besides marriage and it probably would have past.

Alisa: I agree with Nathanael on this one. I, for one, am a devout Christian, so naturally, I believe that marriage was meant to be between a man and a woman. I'm not denying homosexuals or bisexuals the right to be together. That is their own choice. But it cannot be called a marriage, because a marriage is performed in concordance with a church, and is a holy gift from God. That is my own personal belief (people, please don't hate me for having my own opinions. That's called intolerance and hypocrisy) and that is never going to change. I'm not saying that other people are stupid because they believe otherwise, I'm just presenting my opinion, as was Nathanael, I'm sure.

Ellen: Alisa, if marriage was ALWAYS 100% religious then how do Athiests and inter-religious couples get married? I think that "marriage is a religious thing" is a very poor argument. Especially since America allows us to have religious freedom. And fyi to everyone, there ARE Christian gay people. (shocker)

Alyssa: ok im soooo not part of this conversation but i've argued with SO many people about this its insane... honestly the fact that you put this up on the internet is a little offensive (though it could be worse) but im sure you would be bothered a little if someone put the opposite up... one of my best friends is gay and i just feel so bad when people flaunt things like this on the internet... i believe in equality and im not going to badmouth anybody here because thats wrong too but honestly... just keep it to yourself in this case because its such a touchy subject...

Destioney: Wow. So this just pissed me off pretty badly. Don't worry, it will pass with time. Just like it took black people years to become "equal" it will take time for this. People will someday look back and see how ignorant some of us were being. Plus, most that voted yes on 1, will be dead soon anyways, because its obvious they're still living in the past. Get over yourselves. By the way, its not your "choice" to be gay or not, you are the way you are.

"I miss seeing you make that massive Nutella and fruit wrap! Have a whole jar of that stuff sitting in the kitchen and no one to eat it! I miss You!" - my host mom <3

jayjaybling1
ist am Tag 5x hier
Organisation: AIFS
Jahr: 10/11
Aufenthaltsdauer: 10 Monate
Land: USA, ME, Lewiston

Beitragvon jayjaybling1 » 08.04.2010, 09:56

soooo ich komme auch nach Maine, als ich es das erste mal auf einer Karte gesehen hab dachte ich so "hmm sieht kalt aus-.-"
naja aber jetzt weiß ich dass ich Skifahren werde und der Atlantik 30km entfehrnt ist:)
Der sommer soll auch cool sein:)
Bild

Bild

30.11.09-Bewerbung abgeschickt / 29.12.09-Auswahlgespräch (Angenommen) / 06.01.10-Vertragsangebot bekommen / 12.01.10-Vertragsangebot abgeschickt / 14.01.10-Offiziell Angenommen / 14.03.10-Gastfamilie bekommen:)

somewhere_special
gehört zum Inventar

Beitragvon somewhere_special » 09.04.2010, 21:16

:loveyou: Yay, endlich jemand, der hier hoch kommt!
Maine ist toll!
Lewiston ist ein guter Ausgangspunkt fuer Augusta, Portland, Acadia, Norden, ...
Ich bin auch grad hier und besuche meine Families :)
Bei Fragen kannst du dich gern an mich wenden.

"I miss seeing you make that massive Nutella and fruit wrap! Have a whole jar of that stuff sitting in the kitchen and no one to eat it! I miss You!" - my host mom <3

Starlight
gehört zum Inventar
Organisation: Kompass-Sprachreisen
Jahr: 08/09
Land: Massachusetts, USA <3

Beitragvon Starlight » 10.04.2010, 01:35

@somewhere_special: Wann fliegst du denn wieder zurueck? Du fliegst doch auch von Boston aus, oder? :P Mein Flugzeug geht leider schon morgen Abend und du fliegst (haben wir glaub ich mal geklaert, oder? :D ) eh nicht nach Muenchen, aber vllt sieht man sich ja am Flughafen? :wink: Wuensch dir auf jeden Fall noch viel Spass! :P
Bild
9.-11.11.07: AFS Auswahlwochenende in Mühldorf (PPP): Habs nicht gekriegt
16.02.08 16:00 Uhr: Kompass-AWG in München ---> angenommen!
17.02.08 9:00 Uhr: AWG bei YFU in München ---> erst abgelehnt, dann doch telefonisch für Schweden angenommen

somewhere_special
gehört zum Inventar

Beitragvon somewhere_special » 12.04.2010, 21:43

Ich bin von Boston geflogen :o Um 21.30 glaub ich..
Aber erstmal mit ner Maschine nach LHR und dann weiter nach TXL

Vielleicht hast du mich ja vorm Einchecken gesehen. Ich saß mit meinem Freund und seiner Mama rechts an nem Bartisch des Cafés und haben Karten gespielt :lol:

_eastport_

Beitragvon _eastport_ » 04.03.2011, 21:35

Zuletzt geändert von _eastport_ am 07.11.2011, 14:53, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.

somewhere_special
gehört zum Inventar

Beitragvon somewhere_special » 04.03.2011, 22:49

Herzlichen Glückwunsch! :D
Hui, so weit im Osten, und nur eine Fischerbootlänge von Kanada entfernt!
Grüß mir Portland, Camden, Belfast und Acadia NP :)

PS: Maine ist sowieso der schönste Bundesstaat ;)

MichelleAbroad
ist öfter hier
Organisation: TASTE!
Jahr: 11/12
Land: United States of America

Beitragvon MichelleAbroad » 17.03.2011, 17:12

hey:)
ich hab gerade meine gastfamilie bekommen:
Kittery,Maine, direkt am Atlantik, eine Farm♥
ich freu mich so:)
Wahre Stärke besteht nicht darin, stark zu sein.
Wahre Stärke besteht darin, man selbst zu sein.

nina.
ist wirklich nicht mehr zu helfen
Jahr: 11/12 | 14/15
Aufenthaltsdauer: 11 Monate
Land: Danmark, KBH | Europa

Beitragvon nina. » 17.03.2011, 17:51

Glückwunsch :jumper:
"It will be odd going back. Just remember that you have good friends in two
countries now. And then think about it. Denmark is not that far away."
Bild
Bild
>> I want to go somewhere I've never been before.. <<

Ellen-en-France

Beitragvon Ellen-en-France » 17.03.2011, 17:52

nina. hat geschrieben:Glückwunsch :jumper:

dito..wie cool!!

somewhere_special
gehört zum Inventar

Beitragvon somewhere_special » 18.03.2011, 11:34

MichelleAbroad hat geschrieben:hey:)
ich hab gerade meine gastfamilie bekommen:
Kittery,Maine, direkt am Atlantik, eine Farm♥
ich freu mich so:)

Herzlichen Glückwunsch!

Kittery... ich muss ein wenig lachen, denn von den meisten Mainern wird das als Teil von New Hampshire angesehen, ist ja direkt an der Grenze. Außerdem kommen so viele Leute out of state dort hin, denn Kittery ist sehr bekannt durch die ganzen outlet stores. Das heißt, shoppen wird deine Hauptfreizeitbeschäftigung werden. :wink:
Ansonsten hast du da unten ja noch schönen Sandstrand (weiter nördlich, d.h. nördlich von sagen wir mal Brunswick, gibts nur noch Kiesel- bzw. Felsstrand) und vielleicht ist das Wasser noch einen Tick wärmer. Ich hab mich jedenfalls nie weiter als bis zur Hüfte hineingetraut :wink:

Auf jeden Fall - welcome to Maine ♥

MichelleAbroad
ist öfter hier

Beitragvon MichelleAbroad » 18.03.2011, 15:08

Hört sich ja alles so toll an:)
Und du kennst dich ja ganschön aus:)
Wie ist denn der Dialekt und das "verhalten" da so?
Danke ❤

somewhere_special
gehört zum Inventar

Beitragvon somewhere_special » 18.03.2011, 18:27

Ich war ja auch ein Jahr in Maine :wink:
Die Menschen in Maine sind ganz lieb, und auch gut verständlich, solange du nicht tief im Hinterland bist. Dazu kann ich dir vielleicht "Down the road a piece" von John Mcdonald empfehlen, aber das wirst du erst ganz verstehen, wenn du einige Zeit in Maine lebst.
Die meisten Mainer fahren im Winter sehr gern snowmobile und gehen XC-skien. Im Sommer/Herbst hunting, mudding (mit Trucks durch tiefe Schlammwege fahren), ... Sehr outdoor-cy halt. Du hast es auch nicht weit bis nach Portland, da gibts ne hübsche Szene. Und Boston, du bist nur ne Stunde von Boston entfernt! :)

smartie...
austauschschueler.de-Junkie
Organisation: GIVE ( PPP)
Jahr: 2011/12 | 14/15
Land: USA | Italien

Beitragvon smartie... » 19.03.2011, 12:59

Auch von mir Glückwunsch...
USA Blog

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." - Eleanor Roosevelt

MichelleAbroad
ist öfter hier

Beitragvon MichelleAbroad » 19.03.2011, 13:24

Dankeschön :)
Oh toll:) ich hab mch auch bisschen durchgeklickt und ich bin wirklich froh in Maine zu landen, es ist wirklich ein Traum und gerade Maine war schon immer ein heimlichre von mir und das ich jetzt gerade dorthin komme (wenn auch "fast nach" NH) ist...unbeschreiblich:)
Ist es denn wirklich so kalt?
jmd. hat mir von Schnee im September erzählt..?!

Social Media

Zurück zu „USA“