English

In diesem Forum kannst Du in einer Fremdsprache schreiben und so die Sprache Deines Austauschlandes kennenlernen oder drinbleiben ;)
Mysla
ist wirklich nicht mehr zu helfen
Organisation: privat
Aufenthaltsdauer: länger als 12 Monate

Re: English

Beitragvon Mysla » 06.07.2014, 12:47

@Grey: not sure whether you're talking to me or patrick. Just wanted to say/clarify that I don't mind German questions in here. Sometimes it's probably just quicker to quickly post a question in German :P So, in other words, my previous post did NOT mean to say that I assume that someone who posts something in German isn't able to do so in English :wink: might have been a bit ambigious
"Immer weiter gerade aus. Nicht verzweifeln, denn da holt dich keiner raus. Komm, steh selber wieder auf"
--Nena & Friends, Wunder geschehn--

Grey
Land: USA | Slowenien

Beitragvon Grey » 06.07.2014, 20:16

I was talking to Patrick. ;)

patrick37

Beitragvon patrick37 » 06.07.2014, 21:20

@Grey:
My english is also not so good, I think my skills are "Cambridge English: Preliminary" (B1).
And I don't think that I ever will correct you, I make myself to many mistakes :D

Grey

Beitragvon Grey » 07.07.2014, 10:44

Alright. Sorry for reacting in such a passive aggressive way! And your English sounds fine, at least from what I can tell. Way to go!

patrick37

Beitragvon patrick37 » 08.07.2014, 21:50

I'm very interested to improve my english skills so I read more and more stuff in english (news, blogs etc.).

Now I want to ask you, if anyone from you know some blogs from a exchange student that will go in this year.
Best from nordan or asian countries.

Grey

Beitragvon Grey » 09.07.2014, 21:33

Do you mean: a blog by a native English speaker going abroad?
Zuletzt geändert von Grey am 05.11.2014, 03:12, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.

Jiru

Beitragvon Jiru » 09.07.2014, 22:17

It's been a while since I last wrote something in English, so if I make any mistakes, please bear with me :lol: I just wanted to ask if anybody has tips to improve my "active vocabulary"? I guess I understand almost anything in English as long as the topic isn't something economy related or so, but since I rarely have the chance to chat or to talk to somebody in English, I have a hard time expressing my thoughts and my opinion. Everytime I want to write something it's like I forget every single word I know and it's driving me crazy :nosmile: Any tips?

patrick37

Beitragvon patrick37 » 09.07.2014, 23:12

Grey hat geschrieben:Do you mean: a blog from a native English speaker going abroad?

From there or from other people that just write in english. (e.g. some asian blogs from german girls)

Jiru hat geschrieben:It's been a while since I last wrote something in English, so if I make any mistakes, please bear with me :lol: I just wanted to ask if anybody has tips to improve my "active vocabulary"? I guess I understand almost anything in English as long as the topic isn't something economy related or so, but since I rarely have the chance to chat or to talk to somebody in English, I have a hard time expressing my thoughts and my opinion. Everytime I want to write something it's like I forget every single word I know and it's driving me crazy :nosmile: Any tips?

Maybe you have some interest that you can follow on the internet (news, forums, twitter). So here you can go to the english scene and write with them. In a forum or on twitter you can also write back.

Meret
ist öfter hier
Organisation: Do it! Sprachreisen
Jahr: 14/15
Aufenthaltsdauer: 10 Monate
Land: England

Beitragvon Meret » 09.07.2014, 23:48

patrick37 hat geschrieben:I'm very interested to improve my english skills so I read more and more stuff in english (news, blogs etc.).

Now I want to ask you, if anyone from you know some blogs from a exchange student that will go in this year.

http://meretinblackpool.wordpress.com/

I'm going to spend a year in England (don't know whether you're interested anyway) and I write in English. There is a list of blogs from 14/15 exchange students at "Jahrgang 14/15" so you could have a look at those but I think that most of them are in German.

JuliagoesNovaScotia
gehört zum Inventar
Organisation: Stepin | FSA
Jahr: 12/13 | 13 | 15
Aufenthaltsdauer: 10 Monate
Land: Kanada | Südafrika | Schweiz

Beitragvon JuliagoesNovaScotia » 10.07.2014, 19:44

patrick37 hat geschrieben:I'm very interested to improve my english skills so I read more and more stuff in english (news, blogs etc.).

Hey there :)
I spent a year in Canada and I also wrote (most of) my blog in English. So if you're interested: www.julia-in-nova-scotia.jimdo.com
Hope you'll enjoy my blog :D
Tell the world W.E. are coming!
Bild
http://www.julia-in-nova-scotia.jimdo.de
1.10.2011 Essend in Essen 21.1.2012 Verregnet in Dortmund 25.2.2012 Schwebend in Wuppertal 7.04.2012 Gastfamilie in Digby bekommen! <3 12.4.2012 Weltentdecker vs. Bagpacker - BT 10.6.2012 Ganz viel Abschiedsliebe in Dortmund

patrick37

Beitragvon patrick37 » 10.07.2014, 21:05

Meret hat geschrieben:http://meretinblackpool.wordpress.com/

I'm going to spend a year in England (don't know whether you're interested anyway) and I write in English. There is a list of blogs from 14/15 exchange students at "Jahrgang 14/15" so you could have a look at those but I think that most of them are in German.

Thanks for your suggestion, I will follow you over rss. Maybe you will find me in your comments later :)

JuliagoesNovaScotia hat geschrieben:
Hey there :)
I spent a year in Canada and I also wrote (most of) my blog in English. So if you're interested: http://www.julia-in-nova-scotia.jimdo.com
Hope you'll enjoy my blog :D

Hi, thanks you to for your suggestion. I prefer blogs, with new posts in this year because I read that with a rss feed. Sorry.

Grey

Beitragvon Grey » 22.07.2014, 18:59

Hey,
once again, I have a question concerning English.
Today I read a book for university and I found the sentence
Sandbu 2012 hat geschrieben:Since moral disagreement can indeed have a real negative effects - the disharmony, inefficiency, and animosity that "morally mute" managers worry about - it would be idiotic to engage in it for the sake of an impossible benefit.

The author is a native speaker who is also the economic leader writer for the Financial Times, thus I think he is able to use articles in a proper way:
I'm wondering about the article "a" in front of "real negative effects". Why is it there, what does it mean, and if it were not there, would it change the meaning in any way?

Mysla

Beitragvon Mysla » 23.07.2014, 08:46

Even the best authors make mistakes every now and then. I suppose the indefinite singular article in front of a plural noun shows that the writer changed his mind while writing, so he either first wanted to point out 'a effect' and later decided to talk about me than one effect, thus 'effects' and forgot to delete the determiner; or vice versa.

Edit: corrected some typos
"Immer weiter gerade aus. Nicht verzweifeln, denn da holt dich keiner raus. Komm, steh selber wieder auf"

Orava
Organisation: YFU, Studium
Land: Finnland, Estland

Beitragvon Orava » 23.07.2014, 10:00

I agree, but on the other hand, after reading this yesterday I typed "a negative effects" into google (find out if a word or phrase is commonly used --> use google!) and IF it's a typo, it's a very common one, even in academic texts and newspaper articles. That seems weird to me, but I can't explain it either. I'd ask a native speaker.
Teic, Ziemeļu vējš:
No kurienes manī tāds spīts?
Pēc negaisa vienmēr būs saule,
Pēc nakts - vienmēr rīts.

Mysla

Beitragvon Mysla » 23.07.2014, 11:15

Did a google and a google scholar search, too. This is really odd....
I'd still say that this isn't "correct" in terms of standard academic English. There are structures in spoken English that are similar to that where singular and plural are mixed in a way, like "there is so many things to do!" or "I'm pretty, aren't I?"

As I said, I searched for 'a negative effects' on google scholar, and if you look at the first 3 pages of the results (or well, at least the results I got), you'll find that there are many items that do not even contain the whole thing a negative effects in the preview; some are something like a) negative effects of [...] or even as seen in A. NEgative effects [...]. I also found a negative effects range where the singular indefinite article obviously refers to range rather than effects.

Also, if you look the word up on the free dictionary or merriam webster, you find no examples of this singular-plural thingy.

Social Media

Zurück zu „Sprachen“