English

In diesem Forum kannst Du in einer Fremdsprache schreiben und so die Sprache Deines Austauschlandes kennenlernen oder drinbleiben ;)
Grey
ist wirklich nicht mehr zu helfen
Land: USA | Slowenien

Re: English

Beitragvon Grey » 01.11.2013, 22:38

About Doctor Who: well...I don't exactly own the series, I watch it on the Internet...
That is why I don't have subtitles, if that wasn't the case, I would of course use them. And yes, I know it's my own fault...I am just too stingy. ;)

Charlylotte
austauschschueler.de-Junkie
Land: USA-GA; NZ; Schweden; Schottland

Beitragvon Charlylotte » 02.11.2013, 18:29

iirc, the DVDs aren't exactly cheap either haha. On the topic of Doctor Who, at the halloween party I went to yesterday was a guy dressed as the 11th doctor. I was apparently basically the only one to recognize him though
i would always be tripping over things because the ground didn't interest me in the slightest

Grey

Beitragvon Grey » 03.11.2013, 16:06

Charlylotte hat geschrieben:at the halloween party I went to yesterday was a guy dressed as the 11th doctor. I was apparently basically the only one to recognize him though

Thumbs up! :mrgreen:
Zuletzt geändert von Grey am 29.11.2013, 04:03, insgesamt 2-mal geändert.

viajar
ist jeden Tag hier

Beitragvon viajar » 19.11.2013, 19:57

Is there anyone in this forum who might be bored tonight and willing to check a comment I just wrote for an english class?
It was not obligatory to write the text, but I need some bonus points, therfor the text would need some improvement especially concerning my expressions!! Anyone? :)

Grey

Beitragvon Grey » 29.11.2013, 04:04

Charlylotte hat geschrieben:at the halloween party I went to yesterday was a guy dressed as the 11th doctor. I was apparently basically the only one to recognize him though

We have a "Doctors & Nurses" Erasmus party coming up next week. All the girls are excited to dress up as sexy nurses or whatever...well, guess who is going to buy a red bow-tie (I'm afraid I won't find an affordable fez hat). :mrgreen: If I still had my short hair and a lot of money, I would totally look like this girl at this silly party...just in order to confuse everyone (except for my friend from Germany who is also here...we talk about Doctor Who literally all the time). :mrgreen:

Grey

Beitragvon Grey » 11.01.2014, 02:19

A question about English once again...

Do you say "to encounter to such an extensive amount" or "to encounter in such an extensive amount"? I went with "in"...

Mysla
Organisation: privat
Aufenthaltsdauer: länger als 12 Monate

Beitragvon Mysla » 11.01.2014, 19:06

What exactly do you want to get across?
Because to me (and I googled to double-check) to encounter means 'to meet someone (esp. unexpectedly, possibly as an enemy)' or 'to have/face problems', 'to experience something (unexpected)'.

However, intuitively I'd opt for the preposition to.
"Immer weiter gerade aus. Nicht verzweifeln, denn da holt dich keiner raus. Komm, steh selber wieder auf"
--Nena & Friends, Wunder geschehn--

Grey

Beitragvon Grey » 13.01.2014, 23:43

Thank you! A member of this forum already helped me via PN and I decided to stick with "in". We also found out that "experience" would have been a better word to use. The sentence was part of a complaint :D "[...] it's a perfect example of the kind of (not always subtle) sexism that has bothered me many times during my Erasmus semester [...] and that I have never encountered in such an extensive amount before in my entire life."

Grey

Beitragvon Grey » 23.01.2014, 03:37

I have new questions about English ;)

In school I learned that I should use the Conditional II when talking about things that are unlikely to become real. "If I had 100000000 €, I would buy a spaceship", for example.
So what's the difference between the English Subjunctive and the Conditional II?
Is "If I were to have 1000000 €, I would buy a spaceship" correct, too, or do I have to pick a word like "might" instead of "would" when using the Subjunctive? And are there any differences between the meaning of the Subjunctive "If I were to" form and the meaning of the Conditional "If I had" one?

From this Webpage I have the example "A car might crash into his house if he were to build it on Interstate-40." Could one also say "A car would crash into his house if he built it on Interstate-40." and "A car will crash into his house if he builds it on Interstate-40."?

Thanks in advance! :)

Gast

Beitragvon Gast » 12.02.2014, 14:00

Mag mir jemand verraten, wie man ein Herbst- und ein Mittelseminar (im Austauschjahr) auf Englisch nennt? :)

rote_Kirsche
gehört zum Inventar

Beitragvon rote_Kirsche » 12.02.2014, 14:27

Mittelseminar läuft bei uns/mir unter mid-term/mid-year seminar und das Herbsttreffen unter 6-weeks-meeting/ fall-meeting
When griping grief the heart doth wound,
and doleful dumps the mind opresses,
then music, with her silver sound,
with speedy help doth lend redress.
William Shakespeare

relch
Organisation: GLS; erasmus
Jahr: 10/11; 15
Aufenthaltsdauer: 11 Monate
Land: NO;UK;RU?

Beitragvon relch » 18.02.2014, 15:59

Hey :)
Kann mir jemand sagen, wie der Verschluss von z.B. einem Armband oder einer Halskette auf Englisch heisst?
einfach auf das Bild klicken. Blogeiladung? kannste haben!----------------Malen---------------Essen--------------------------------------------------------------------------------KIRKJUVAGR
Bild Bild

Mysla
Organisation: privat
Aufenthaltsdauer: länger als 12 Monate

Beitragvon Mysla » 18.02.2014, 18:03

clasp oder clip
"Immer weiter gerade aus. Nicht verzweifeln, denn da holt dich keiner raus. Komm, steh selber wieder auf"
--Nena & Friends, Wunder geschehn--

relch
Organisation: GLS; erasmus
Jahr: 10/11; 15
Aufenthaltsdauer: 11 Monate
Land: NO;UK;RU?

Beitragvon relch » 18.02.2014, 18:09

Dankeschön :)
einfach auf das Bild klicken. Blogeiladung? kannste haben!----------------Malen---------------Essen--------------------------------------------------------------------------------KIRKJUVAGR
Bild Bild

Grey

Beitragvon Grey » 05.03.2014, 01:45

Ich hab mal eine weniger kompliziertere Frage :D
Was heißt "Austauschjahr abbrechen" und "Abbruch des Austauschjahrs" auf Englisch? Ich habe immer "to drop out", "to quit" oder "to abandon" benutzt, aber finde bei beidem per Google keine Ergebnisse. Wäre "to discontinue prematurely", "to abort prematurely" oder "to terminate prematurely" passender? Ich habe gesehen, dass man manchmal "to leave early" benutzt wird, aber es muss doch auch noch andere Möglichkeiten und ein Substantiv geben?
Vielen Dank im Voraus!

Social Media

Zurück zu „Sprachen“